Day 2 of Lent
Welcome to day 2 of St. Michael’s Lenten daily reflection! If you missed Day 1 you can click here to read it.
Yesterday, as we marked our foreheads with ashes and heard the words, “Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return” we were reminded of our mortality and that we are not made for this world but for the next.
Today’s Bible verse comes from the book of Psalms. Psalms 42:3:
MY BEING THIRSTS FOR GOD, THE LIVING GOD. WHEN CAN I GO AND SEE THE FACE OF GOD?
We all thirst for God. We all yearn for something more than this life can provide. Even those who aren’t aware of such a longing – even those who don’t believe in God – yearn to see him, because He created us all for this very purpose. They may search for ultimate happiness in other places but in the end, only God Himself will satisfy us.
Our desire for God in fact corresponds to His own desire for us. Though we have broken our relationship with him through sin, he woos us to return from our faithlessness, and He delights in our love. If we repent and embrace his offer of reconciliation through his Son, Jesus Christ, we are called to a life of grace that transforms us into Christ’s own likeness.
When we make sacrifices during Lent, we detach ourselves from the things that we tend to love too much. Things that block our view of our Heavenly Father. Through this detachment of earthly things we make more room in our lives for God. Thus desiring the living water of eternal life and not the water that only temporarily quenches our thirst.
I am always amazed at the opportunities I miss to see God in others. Normally the only effort it takes is to slow down and be observant. Try to make an effort to see God’s face in others today.
For as St. Ignatius Loyola said, “Those who carry God in their hearts bear heaven with them wherever they go”.
IDEAS TO HELP YOU MEMORIZE BIBLE VERSES EACH DAY:
- ASK FOR THE GRACE TO REMEMBER THE VERSE THROUGHOUT THE DAY.
- ASK YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL TO HELP YOU REMEMBER THE BIBLE VERSE THROUGHOUT THE DAY
- BEFORE UNLOCKING YOUR PHONE OR SENDING A TEXT MESSAGE, EACH TIME REPEAT THE BIBLE VERSE.
- BEFORE SENDING AN EMAIL OUT, REPEAT THE BIBLE VERSE.
- WHILE BRUSHING YOUR TEETH IN THE MORNING AND AT NIGHT, REPEAT THE BIBLE VERSE.
- EACH TIME YOU GET INTO YOUR CAR, BEFORE YOU START IT, REPEAT THE BIBLE VERSE.
- BEFORE PRAYER BEFORE MEALS WITH YOUR FAMILY, REPEAT THE BIBLE VERSE.
- SEND THE BIBLE VERSE TO YOUR SPOUSE, KIDS, OR FAMILY THROUGHOUT THE DAY AS A REMINDER.
- START EACH PRAYER THROUGHOUT THE DAY WITH THE BIBLE VERSE.
- EACH TIME YOU WALK THROUGH A DOORWAY, REPEAT THE BIBLE VERSE.
PLEASE HELP US BY SHARING THIS WITH YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS!
WE WILL BE HAVING A REFLECTION EACH DAY, SO PLEASE COME BACK TOMORROW!
Pat Flynn comes to Tulsa for the Alcuin Institute and St. Michael Catholic Radio Speaker…Read More
The Alcuin Institute for Catholic Culture and St. Michael Catholic Radio will be hosting Suan…Read More